A few years ago there wasn’t a rewards card in Canada that offered a more lucrative program than Shoppers Optimum. The Shoppers Optimum rewards card holders were disappointed to find out that on July 1st, 2010 Shoppers Drug Mart changed the Shoppers Optimum Program, increasing the number of points required to redeem for $10 in products from 7,000 to 8,000 (about 15%).
This change to the Shoppers Optimum program coincided with new legislation surrounding generic prescription drugs, which was going to reduce revenues and profits for Shoppers Drug Mart. So what did these changes mean for one of Canada’s most popular rewards programs? Let’s take a closer look at the program.
Collecting Shoppers Optimum Points
Shoppers Optimum is a free rewards program where members can earn points on almost anything in the store. You can earn 10 Shoppers Optimum points for almost every dollar spent, including prescriptions.
- Earn 10 points when you spend $1.
- Earn 100 points when you spend $10.
- Earn 500 points when you spend $50.
- Earn 1,000 points when you spend $100.
You can collect Shoppers Optimum points even faster by using some of the following tips:
- Shop during 20x the points events to earn thousands of points. For example, if you spend $50 in-store you would earn 10,000 points rather than just 500.
- Get Shoppers Optimum bonus points on specially marked items in-store every day.
- Throughout the year Shoppers Drug Mart offers special points events, such as 20x the points on cosmetics, 10x the points on Life Brand products, and 10x the points on health products like vitamins.
- Receive un-advertised email offers, exclusive for Shoppers Optimum members.
Redeeming Shoppers Optimum Points
When you redeem your Shoppers Optimum points, the rewards are given on a sliding scale. This means that the more points you accumulate, the greater the rewards will be.
- 8,000 points = $10 off next purchase (1.25% rebate)
- 22,000 points = $30 off next purchase (1.36% rebate)
- 38,000 points = $60 off next purchase (1.58% rebate)
- 50,000 points = $85 off next purchase (1.70% rebate)
- 95,000 points = $170 off next purchase (1.79% rebate)
Even without the 20x bonus events, the Shoppers Optimum program is still one of the most lucrative no fee rewards programs in Canada. As you can see, the more you save up your Shopper Optimum points, the more return members get on their purchases. When you include the bonus point events, the program becomes even more lucrative.
Similar to the PC points program at PC Financial, once you have accumulated 8,000 Shoppers Optimum points you can redeem them right at the cashier for $10 off your purchase. It’s that easy to use!
Final Thoughts on Shoppers Optimum
It seems amazing that just one year ago the Shoppers Optimum program was even more generous with their rewards than they are now. The program has a much higher utility than other retail programs like HBC rewards. Shoppers Drug Mart not only sells cosmetics and prescriptions, but they have quite a few grocery products as well.
There are not a lot of no fee rewards programs in Canada that offer more than a 1% rebate on your purchases. With Shoppers Optimum points, you can easily put 2% back in your wallet when you take advantage of the bonus point events.
The Shoppers Optimum card is definitely worth keeping in your wallet to earn rewards points. This is one of the best rewards programs in Canada.
*Update: Shoppers Optimum has recently partnered with RBC on a new program called the RBC Shoppers Optimum banking account.
Scotiabank and Cineplex have partnered to create the first and only entertainment rewards program in Canada. The SCENE card and rewards program lets members turn movie-going and banking transactions into free movie tickets and more.
Members not only receive everyday savings on their concession purchases at Cineplex Entertainment theatres but are also eligible for exclusive rewards and contests.
Those with a Scotiabank account can link their Cineplex SCENE card membership to their SCENE ScotiaCard and earn rewards faster.
Using Your Cineplex SCENE Card
Members can use their Cineplex SCENE card to collect movie rewards. The program is free to join, and your points are earned like this:
- 250 points for joining the SCENE rewards program
- 100 points for every adult ticket purchased at Cineplex Entertainment theatres
- 75 – 150 points when you purchase concession combos at Cineplex Entertainment theatres (members get 10% concessions)
- 20 bonus points for purchasing your movie tickets online
- 5 bonus points for every dollar spent purchasing DVD’s at the Cineplex store
- 50 bonus points for every $10 spent at Milestones Grill + Bar in BC, Alberta and Ontario
SCENE ScotiaCard and VISA Card
The SCENE ScotiaCard is the only debit card that earns you entertainment rewards on your everyday spending and on movies.
- Earn 1 point for every $5 purchase transaction using your SCENE ScotiaCard at any merchant
- Earn 5 points for every $1 spent at a participating Cineplex Entertainment theatre using your SCENE ScotiaCard
One of the fastest ways to earn rewards points is by using a credit card for your everyday spending. The SCENE VISA card is a great way to collect movie rewards.
- Earn 1 SCENE point for every $1 spent
- Earn 5 SCENE points for every $1 spent at participating Cineplex Entertainment theatres
- Earn 4,000 SCENE points just for signing up (that’s 4 free movies!)
Redeeming Points With Your Cineplex Scene Card
Redeem your Cineplex SCENE card points in-theatre to enjoy great entertainment rewards such as:
- Free movies starting at 1,000 points
- Concession combos starting at 1,000 points
- Night Out Packages starting at 1,500 points
You can also treat yourself to dinner with your SCENE points:
- $10 off at Milestones Grill + Bar, starting at 1,250 points
- $25 Gift Card good at Milestones, Kelsey’s, Montana’s, Harvey’s, Swiss Chalet – starting at 3,125 points
Final Thoughts on the Cineplex Scene Rewards Card
The rewards offered with the Cineplex Scene card are fairly basic compared with what you can get from other rewards programs like Aeroplan miles, and unless you are a regular movie-goer this program would likely offer little in the way of benefits for the average Canadian.
I much prefer to utilize a rewards program that helps supplement my everyday spending, like redeeming Air Miles rewards for gas gift cards or earning free groceries from President’s Choice stores using PC points.
At the end of the day, for movie lovers who like to treat themselves to a free movie every few weeks the Cineplex Scene Card is a handy rewards card to have in your wallet or on a mobile app.