One of the best ways to increase the earning power of your rewards cards is to use a small business credit card. Just like you can turn your everyday personal spending into Air Miles rewards or Aeroplan miles, you can turn your business expenses into travel rewards with a small business credit card.
Overview of the TD Business Travel Visa Card
TD offers three small business credit card options. The TD Business Travel Visa Card is the most lucrative of the three, earning TD Points on all purchases made with your card, plus all of the benefits of the TD Business Visa Card. You can use TD Points towards travel expenses that you pay for with your small business credit card.
The daily purchases that you make for your small business using your TD Business Travel Visa Card will earn valuable TD Points that you can use to pay for any travel that you charge to your Card – flights, hotels, train tickets, car rentals, even airport parking and taxes.
For an annual fee of $149 you earn 3 TD Points on every $1 you spend on purchases charged to your small business credit card, and receive optional detailed monthly Management Reports to help you keep track of your business expenses.
Benefits of the TD Business Travel Visa Card
- You’ll receive 30,000 Bonus TD Points upon approval
- You’ll earn 3 TD Points for every dollar in purchases charged to your Card
- You’ll earn 9 TD Points for every dollar charged to your Card for eligible travel purchases booked through the TD Visa Travel Rewards Centre
- You’ll enjoy the freedom to book your trip through any travel agency or website on your Card and still use your TD Points
*Annual Fee: $149
TD Points Can Add Up Quickly:
|Total Annual Purchases||Total TD Points Earned per year|
|One-time Approval Bonus*||—||30,000|
|Avg. Monthly Purchases|
($1 charged = 3 TD Points)
|$2,500 x 12||90,000|
|Travel Booked at the TD Travel Rewards|
Centre in an average year
($1 charged = 9 TD Points)
|Travel Savings Earned||$735|
* One-time Approval Bonus applies only in the first year
Book your travel any way you want
- The TD Business Travel Visa Card gives you the freedom to book your trip through any travel agency or travel provider that you choose
- The required number of TD Points will be redeemed from your TD Points balance on the date you call to redeem and your TD Business Travel Visa Account will be credited by the amount of TD Points redeemed
- Book your travel through the exclusive travel agency – the TD Travel Rewards Centre – or online where your TD Points will be redeemed automatically upon booking. Earn triple rewards for travel purchases charged to your Card at the TD Travel Rewards Centre (9 TD Points earned for every $1 in travel purchases made through the Centre)
- Book your travel in any class (including business class and first class)
Redeeming TD Points
- Redeem your TD Points for whatever type of travel you prefer, including air, package, hotel, car rental, train
- There are no seat restrictions, blackout periods or advance booking requirements. With TD Points, you can travel any time of year, including peak periods, and even during seat sales – and still use TD Points
- Use your TD Points for taxes that apply to your travel purchases, such as GST or provincial taxes, as well as any other charges or fees you may incur at the time of booking, such as port charges or airport improvement fees
- Your TD Points do not expire as long as you are a Cardholder
To be eligible to apply online, you must be:
- A Sole Proprietor that is an existing TD Canada Trust Customer
- – OR –
- The only Owner (and Director, if applicable) of an incorporated company which is an existing TD Canada Trust Small Business Customer.
*You must also be a Canadian resident, and be of the age of majority in your province of residence.
Normally I’m not a fan of paying an annual fee, even when getting rewards from travel credit cards, which can really add up. With a small business credit card like the TD Business Travel Visa Card, the rewards program is so lucrative that the annual fee is worth paying for.
The flexibility when redeeming TD points for travel is a unique advantage over other small business credit cards since you can redeem your TD points at any time without restrictions. You can use your TD points to pay for any taxes and fees incurred on your flight or other transportation.
If you’re a small business owner you should consider using the TD Business Travel Visa as your small business credit card of choice and start collecting lucrative travel rewards points on your everyday business spending.
Aeroplan is one of Canada’s most popular loyalty programs. Aeroplan members can earn Aeroplan Miles at over 75 sponsors, representing more than 150 brands in the travel, retail and financial sectors.
Last year alone, over 2 million Aeroplan rewards were issued to members including more than 1.3 million flights on Air Canada and Star Alliance carriers. In addition to flights, members also have access to over 800 exciting specialty, merchandise, hotel, car rental and experiential rewards.
4 main ways to earn Aeroplan miles:
- Retail Partners – You can earn Aeroplan miles just by shopping at one of the dozens of affiliated retail partners like Esso, Home Hardware and Sobey’s. Simply present your Aeroplan card at the time of purchase and you will typically receive 1 Aeroplan mile for every $2 or $3 that you spend.
- Everyday Spending – You can earn Aeroplan miles on your everyday purchases at any location by paying with Aeroplan-affiliated reward credit cards like the CIBC Aerogold Visa and the American Express Aerogold Plus credit card. You can earn twice the Aeroplan miles when you use your Aeroplan credit card at a sponsored business.
- Shopping Online – Now you can earn Aeroplan miles with all of your online purchases. With the Aeroplan Store you have access to over 150 online retailers like eBay, Chapters, Apple and Dell. The Aeroplan miles add up even faster when shopping through the Aeroplan eStore, since you earn an Aeroplan mile for every $1 you spend.
- Bonus offers – In addition to earning standard Aeroplan miles from sponsors, you can take advantage of bonus Aeroplan miles offers that partners are promoting throughout the year. Look for special bonus offers from Air Canada and from hotel and car rental companies when they are looking to promote summer travel deals.
Do Aeroplan Miles Expire?
Aeroplan has an interesting policy when it comes to collecting and redeeming Aeroplan miles. Members must stay active in the program by making at least one transaction every 12 months. The Aeroplan website also states that you have 7 full years to redeem your Aeroplan miles before they expire. This policy has caused some anger and confusion for members who are no longer actively collecting but have accumulated a significant amount of Aeroplan miles.
The Aeroplan card should be in most Canadian’s wallets for the simple fact of having the strong Air Canada and Star Alliance partnership. But Aeroplan members should be cautious to maintain active status within the program and should consider redeeming their Aeroplan miles more frequently to avoid having them expire over time.
Do you collect Aeroplan miles? What are your thoughts on their loyalty program?